Sunday, April 13, 2008

What's In A Name


What’s In A Name

I think we all agree with Shakespeare that a rose by any other name would smell as sweet, but I am constantly surprised by how many people dislike their own name. During my childhood, I myself would have gladly exchanged my parents’ choice with Julien - the eldest of Enid Blyton’s Famous Five.

When I recently discovered that some people attach a significance to names according to the number of letters, I wondered more philosophically about the importance or otherwise of our personal nomenclature.

In my own case, I have been known by different aspects of my given names at different stages of my life.
1. Birth to 16 Anthony; my mother’s choice and heaven help anyone who had the temerity to modify or shorten it.
2. 16-33 Tony; while serving in the RAF I would have needed more assertiveness than I possessed to insist on Anthony. Perhaps the only thing I have in common with our erstwhile PM.
3. 33-59 John; the approximate coincidence of my leaving the RAF and the death of my father allowed my new status as a civilian to begin with me being known by our common first name.
4. 59-?? I am now consciously moving toward my real purpose and identity, so hence forward John Anthony Vine the Yorkshireman Abroad.

Could Life Be Any Better

No comments: